Monday 19 December 2016

My Own Private Idaho



Every once in a while I'll go back to a movie to see if it's any good. When I first watched My Own Private Idaho it was a little bit over my head as I was too young and inexperienced in the world. This time round it was a complete gem. River Phoenix later died outside the Viper Room which sounds like it was full of snakes, and we all know where Keanu Reeves went in his career. I understand he's quite a nice guy.

If I'm not mistaken both kids were members of the Children of God or at least had names of North American Indians? I heard once that Keanu was passed around Hollywood to make his name, and I think most are familiar with the sexual abuse in the children of God though I may have forgotten to post that documentary.

In either case both actors portray semi-homeless kids who make a living being hired for sex by lonely men and women. It seems they're not interested in each other physically but because of their shared experiences they have a love for each other that doesn't seem incongruous with a close friendship.

It's a sad movie but it's also very touching, and well worth reading the manner of it's production and direction through Gus Van Sant who hires non actors for some of the roles. 

It works very well.